Recipe: Poached Eggs and Spicy Tomato Sauce
This is a healthy and simple recipe that you can prepare as breakfast, lunch or dinner. Poached eggs topped with a Middle Eastern-spiced veggie sauce makes the perfect pot dish for any day of the week.
It’s healthy, vegetarian and easy to make. Add some feta cheese at the end and serve with pita bread for a dish that’ll leave you wanting more.
- 3 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ⅛ tsp cayenne or to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
- ¾ tsp salt, more as needed
- ¼ tsp black pepper, more as needed
- 5 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender for 1 to 2 minutes; stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and season with ¾ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled feta.
- Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven, and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce.
Add ½ whole grain pita bread per serving. Makes 4 servings